Monday, July 9, 2012

Healthy Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker

Now I'm not even sure there is such a thing, but an ice cream made with ingredients I can pronounce? Yes! This was the simplest recipe I could find and it was inspired by Cooking Light's 88 Meals under 200 calories.

So here we go!
Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
4 cups strawberries hulled
2 cups low fat buttermilk

Directions: (I don't have an ice cream maker, so if you do you can follow the directions in your manual. You read that, right?)
1. Pour 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar into a sauce pan and boil until sugar dissolves. Then cool completely.
2. Use your food processor to purée the strawberries.
3. Once sugar/water mixture is completely cooled add strawberry purée and buttermilk and stir well.
4. Place in a metal bowl and put foil over to freeze for 3 hours.
5. Remove after three hours and place back in food processor and pulse.
6. Then once back in metal bowl and freeze for 4 hours.

My hubs loves strawberry ice cream and while it's not my favorite I do sometimes cook for other's taste buds. Shocking, I know. It's light, fresh, and I know what's in it. Best of all, even though I had to pull it out of the freezer and pulse it and then freeze it again, it really wasn't that time consuming. It'll satisfy that sweet tooth if you have one!


No comments:

Post a Comment